Friday 4 August 2017

Moving Moments Chapter 9 - Banana Boy in Training. Life moves on

Moving Moments
Chapter 9
Banana Boy in Training – Life moves on


Howard College at UND
 1972 was a new year and fresh start for me. I was registered at the University of Natal, Durban Campus (UND). Natal, with its British origins was a much more English, versus an Afrikaans dominated province. People from Natal were referred to as Banana Boys as parts of it were quite tropical and a lot of bananas were grown. Because of the English flavor of Natal many Rhodesian students registered at UND. I knew a lot more people there, either from my Falcon days or from Zambia so in some ways it felt more like home. At Wits I had been pretty isolated and didn’t really have any solid friends there.

Aerial view of part of UND campus
I had booked into Louis Botha Hall residence, which was where Al was already living. By this time he was into second or third year engineering. When we arrived at the residence I was back in the role of a first year student and was expected to go through initiation again. By this time I was two years out of school, coming up for turning 20 in March and had had my fill of these childish games. I told the committee running initiation that I had done it once at Wits and I wasn’t doing it again. I think they didn’t quite know what to do with someone who refused to do it. Along with that, Al was well liked and I guess they didn’t want to cross swords with him, so they let me off the hook. I was treated as an “honorary second year”.

At Wits I had had my own room. I was surprised to find at Louis Botha Hall that I was sharing a room with another guy. We had a dividing partition between us, so we each had our own space. He had long blond hair growing at least half way down his back. Even for me, who fancied himself as a would be hippy, I found this a bit much. This guy also looked like he was permanently spaced out on something. We immediately took a disliking to each other. We shared this room for six months, before I was allocated my own room half way through the year. I don’t think we said more than half a dozen words to each other.


I was two years out of Falcon, paying my own way and my mindset was now more geared to getting down to the business of learning. I found the nature of the B. Comm courses much more generic and to my liking. The exception was Accounting 1. The lecturer had a reputation for being a stickler and a bit of an eccentric. I vividly remember him teaching us the rudiments of accounting  “debits by the door, credits by the window”. He used to set accounting problems which always had interesting characters such as Poor Manager, whose partner was Greedy Guts, who were making Widgets, but not making a profit and so on. I suppose it’s hard to make accounting fun, but this at least elicited a few chuckles.

Durban is a surfing hotspot
25 people in a Mini - yep 25
UND being by the beach was very casual in its approach. Guys would go down to the beach, in the early morning for a couple of hours of surfing before classes. They would stroll barefoot into class in their beachwear and no one would bat an eyelid. As with all other South African universities, each year the students would run the Annual Rag Event as a fundraiser. Rag, as it was called, would raise large amounts of money for local needy causes. Part of the tradition was that students would do “stunts” to make the headlines to promote Rag and prepare the public to be shaken down in the streets. In Nev’s first year at Wits they had broken the world record for the number of people on a bed, about 80 I seem to remember. In our first year at UND, our students broke the world record for the most number of people in a Mini Cooper and have the car drive a few feet – we got 25 in. 

In sufficient quantities, burgers
can be pretty unappetising
One memorable event was when Julian Mitchell, a friend from Kitwe, volunteered for the burger eating contest. A local burger den had offered complimentary burgers. There were four or five participants. They were each handed a bucket, a bottomless supply of burgers and as much beer as they wanted to wash it all down. They had half an hour to eat as many burgers as they could manage. About half way through the guys would go around the corner and empty their stomachs into the buckets and then come back for more burgers. It was a pretty gross sight to watch. By the end the guys were looking much less enthusiastic and chewing had slowed to a snail’s pace. Julian won the competition with 30 burgers. He was so stuffed he could not bend at all. We carried him to a car, laid him out flat and took him back to his bed where we left him for the night to digest his success.

Pedal Car racing - deadly serious business
Another Rag related activity was the annual pedal car races. Different groups at the university, generally engineering students, would design and build a pedal car for the big race. This was a deadly serious business and each year the teams would go to great lengths to find the latest and lightest alloys to give their team an edge. On the day, teams of six would take turns to pedal, at breakneck speed, a circular course around the campus. UND had a very hilly campus, so each cycling turn would involve a lot of up and down hills, along with having to take due care for the cornering and braking in the right spots. The route around the campus would take two or three minutes, so one’s turn would come up quite quickly. It was a perseverance race and lasted for six hours, with the team completing the most laps being declared the winner. I joined one of the teams and by hour three or four I was dreading my turn each time each fifteen minutes or so.

I still had my long head of hair, which really was an unruly mess. This frustrated some of the girls we would hang out with. One time Steph Baird, who was a friend from Kitwe, and her friend Brains, decided that they were going to help me improve my look. They had me rest my head on my desk and then used a hot iron to flatten and straighten my hair using the desk as a flat surface to push on. Whilst this was an interesting experiment it was doomed to failure. My hair has a natural curl and my new flat and straight look lasted a day or two before it returned to its original natural state. I wasn’t too fussed. Mom had never taught me much about care of my personal looks. Only when I started dating Cher some time later, did I gain any insight into the fact that clothes are supposed to be colour co-ordinated and hair is supposed to have some kind of shape and style.

Although I was paying my own fees Mom and Dad were still giving Al and I pocket money. Each month, our allowance was twenty five rand. In today’s terms that would be about $25. Al and I were both running our own vehicles. We had to pay all our vehicle expenses along with toiletries and of course any partying we might want to do. Mind you gas in those days was only 9c a litre, so that particular expense was not a major burden. In those days, communication was patchy to say the least. There were no cell phones, Pay Pal or internet banking. Everything was done by cash or cheque. Mom and Dad had appointed Nev, who was in Johannesburg, to be in charge of sending us our pocket money monthly. He was allowed to consider special requests and use his discretion in granting them or not. Al and I would always be on the phone to Nev to jog his memory to send us our allowance or consider the merits of some emergency we were dealing with.  Nev used to enjoy his role of big brother and Al and I were forced to hone our persuasion skills to get the money flowing a bit more freely. Mom and Dad were pushovers compared to Nev.

Louis Botha Hall - I lived in one of these rooms and
watched the staff mow these lawns with a flymo tied on a rope
Louis Botha Hall was heavily occupied by engineering students. They were known as a conservative grumpy bunch. However having these practical types around did have its upsides. In those days public telephones were nicknamed “tickey boxes” because they had originally been designed to work with a tickey or three pennies. In a world of no cell phones, the sole tickey box in Louis Botha Hall was our window to the world. One of the engineering students had hotwired it so that we could make calls for free. A wire stuck out of the box and all one had to do to make it work was short the wire to the side of the box when it called for money. Occasionally the Post Office who ran the tickey boxes would come by and repair it, but it didn’t take long before our good old engineering students undid their work. Needless to say our LBH tickey box was an item in hot demand and there would be line ups every night to use it.

As I mentioned earlier UND was a casual campus. In those days political correctness had not reached the fever pitch it has these days. This meant that there was still a significant disrespect by guys for the feelings of girls around them. An annual event was the beauty pageant around the swimming pool. The girls would parade by in their bikinis while the guys in various stages of inebriation would cheer, jeer and cat call. Any girl who did not match up to expectations would be greeted with boos and jeers. Phil Hodgson was in a different residence to us. I remember him telling us that their residence’s annual ball would have an award at the end of the evening for the most unattractive girl. She was awarded the Grunt of the Ball prize. Even I, in my advanced state of blissful ignorance, was a bit shocked by this one. To me this is one of the strongest evidences that every guy needs a good woman in his life. How else are guys to figure out what is right and wrong? I guess this is part of God’s plan for life. There must be a reason that girls need guys too, but it’s not as obvious.

Despite still being a committed party-er I managed to make it through the year academically and ended up with middling results. I was passing but certainly not with flying colours. I was still chasing my demons, or probably more accurately they were chasing me and I was finding my solace in drinking and craziness of various kinds. I returned home at the end of 1972 for our annual long vacation. This vacation was to be different, because for the first time I found myself a proper, fully accredited girlfriend. Her name was Alison Bassingthwaite. She lived and worked in Kitwe full time. I had never had a proper girlfriend. I think six years of boarding school, stuck out in the bush had left me lacking confidence and basic relating skills around girls. So for me this was a big thing. It was now a great feeling to go parties and activities and feel that I had someone to accompany me and make me feel complete. I enjoyed her company but wasn’t shell shocked by the relationship as some are. Girlfriend? Check – been there done that.

As part of our long holiday break Al and I had planned to go with our cousin Robert Cornish to UK and skiing in Austria for a few weeks. Dad’s contract with Anglo American included a trip “home” to UK every couple of years for the family, so our fare was paid for. Robert, our cousin, was a good friend and we had a great relationship. He was younger than Al, but older than me, so we were all a similar age. He had never gone to university but managed a local timber company in Ndola, about forty miles from Kitwe. Rob had just started dating Judy Mason and he was head over heels in love.

L. to R. - Robert, Rob and Alan, in Amsterdam
Having Rob with us added more than a touch of interest. Rob always the tough guy, was not going to allow anyone to push him around nor was he going to be taken advantage of by anyone trying to scam us. He had never travelled overseas before and he was on high alert and practically bristling with prickliness. For Al and I this was often helpful as Rob saved us from a couple of tight spots, but he also was a bit more the rough diamond than we would have liked at times. Our flight took us via Athens where we stayed for a day or two. We bumped into a couple of friendly Greek guys in downtown Athens and next thing they invited us to a nearby pub for a drink where they had friends. When we got there, we were the only people in the place apart from a handful of quite attractive looking women in the corner who began to make eyes at us. The trouble began when we had to pay for our first drink. The charge was astronomical. Robert grabbed one of our “friends” by the collar and forcefully told him we were only paying half of that and walked out. This was repeated again the next day, where we were having a drink at another place and the owner brought us a small bowl of “complimentary” nuts to enjoy with our drinks. When the bill arrived, the nuts had cost more than the combined cost of our drinks. Once again Rob grabbed the guy by his collar and told him clearly that we were not paying for the nuts and once again we walked out. Whilst not the friendliest approach, Rob did seem to have a way of making the Greeks see our point of view.

Rob’s problem was that he was in love and he was pining for Judy. By the time we got to London he had already decided that he was cancelling his skiing in Austria and was going home to Judy early. Al and I were a bit puzzled. Our strong, prickly cousin Robert was like a mushy pussy cat when it came to Judy. We secretly disapproved of how a girl could have such an effect on a guy. It was a bit disturbing.

Auld Lang Syne in Trafalgar Square
Our last night together was in London for New Year’s eve before Al and I headed out skiing and Rob returned to his true love. We ended up at Trafalgar Square for the midnight countdown. At the stroke of midnight everyone started hugging and kissing each other. This was an opportunity not to be missed. I ended up in a large circle of girls and guys singing Auld Lang Syne. The crowd was so huge that Al, Rob and I very quickly got split up. Somehow Rob and I re-connected and eventually we ended up at some of these young people’s apartments where we all found a piece of carpet or couch to sleep. Al was just missing. We had no idea where he’d ended up. Rob and I returned to our hotel room the next morning and were relieved to find Al waiting for us there. Unfortunately in all the fun and festivities of the previous evening he had lost his traveler’s cheques. We reported the loss to the bank who promised to make good, but not before we had to leave for Austria. We agreed that we would have to make do with the money I had and bid farewell to Rob who left to go back to Zambia.
Trafalgar Square - one of life's great places
to be on New Year's Eve

Neither Al nor I had skied before, so we had to have three or four days of lessons in the village of Solden in Austria before we were let loose to try out our skills on more than the nursery slopes. We were young and invincible so we went for it. We had two weeks to become world class skiers. All I can say is that I ended the two weeks with bruises, bumps and twisted joints but we were fearless and our skill level went up dramatically. 

Al looking like a pro
Some of the crowd we connected with
Rob back row on right. 
One of the things we did was a tobogganing trip at night from the village of Hoch (High) Solden down to Solden. We were bussed up and each handed a toboggan and a couple of shots of gluehwein to fortify us against the cold. We then tobogganed down the road, about three miles, down to Solden. This was really fun and the memory of it stays with me today. We saw a number of serious injuries over our two weeks. There was a skiable path from the nursery slope down to the village of Solden but it had not snowed for a while so it had become very icy and only good skiers were able to manage the twists and turns. We were walking down the road in Solden when we heard a cry from the nursery slope pathway. A woman had overshot one of the turns and she was bouncing her way down the very steep hill, probably a hundred feet to the bottom. We ran to her aid and to my amazement she was still alive. However she had a hole in her skull which was pumping out blood. The ambulance arrived shortly thereafter and I’m pretty sure she survived, but it did leave me with a new respect for the dangers of undue risks.

Rob and a couple of skiing buddies. 
Because Al had lost his traveler’s cheques we were a bit tight on our budget. One thing we had discovered at our hotel in Austria was that if you wanted a bath, you had to pay extra for it. As good Rhodesians we were used to showering or bathing at will and it wasn’t unusual for us to shower twice a day, so we regarded having to pay for a bath as a bit much. We devised a scheme whereby one of us would pay for the key to the bathroom and then we would take it in turns to bath before returning the key. Well the maid on our floor was wise to this one and it wasn’t long before she started to lock us in the bathroom until we promised extra payment. Al and I then got smart and went into the bathroom at the same time. A bit more laborious but making do with our remaining cash was vital.


Al and I returned from our skiing trip refreshed and ready to take on a new year at UND. We had decided that we could live more cost effectively by renting an apartment ourselves. Six of us had banded together and rented two 2 bedroom apartments with an enclosed balcony at 10 Colenmore Road in Durban. We figured the enclosed balconies could each double up as a third bedroom. Phil Hodgson, Al and I rented one apartment and Ian Kelly and Charlie Summers, ex Falcon friends and Kevin Cornish, our cousin, Robert’s brother, would rent the other one. I had managed to make it through my first year of university and had not come unglued. I figured life was good and I was now on my way to making my mark in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment