Saturday 17 June 2017

Moving Moments Ch.5 - Carefree Days - Last Call

Moving Moments
Chapter 5
Carefree Days - Last Call


13 Consort Avenue, Chingola taken from
 the big rock in our garden., 
Towards the end of of 1961, Dad received a promotion to Divisional Engineer at Nchanga mine in Chingola and so it was time to move again. We moved from 14 Consort Avenue to 13 Consort Avenue. It was actually a fair distance up the road, but more importantly this time we were on the golf course side of the road and this meant we were moving upscale yet again. We now had two full bathrooms. We had come a long way in just seven years from our early days at Itimpi where we had only outdoor plumbing and were fending off nature at every turn. Our house was on a 1 – 2 acre lot and had more than enough room to stretch our legs in. The garden was dominated by a massive granite rock, about 6 – 8 feet high and about 50 – 60 feet long by 20 or 30 wide. At the far end of that was a large anthill about 10 feet high with a base of maybe 20 feet in diameter. Our back yard backed onto a stretch of untouched bush, which made a wonderful playground, once we had scaled the fence and explored its mysteries.

Nev and Mau
Nev had limped home at the end of 1961 having been given the boot by the university after failing his second year of mining engineering. He and his buddies had really been enjoying the social life and not paying sufficient attention to the academic side. Nev’s real downfall though was that he had fallen in love with Maureen Roth and this had completely wrecked his focus on advancing his studies. Unfortunately the university was not that sympathetic to his plight and he was given the chop. He came home and found work on Nchanga Mine as a “learner official” eventually becoming a shift boss of a crew working at the rock face. He had had to leave Maureen (Mau) behind in Johannesburg as she was continuing her studies to be a teacher. Mau began to visit Nev from time to time in Chingola and we began to get to know this precious gem who Nev had uncovered while learning to be a miner. She was to be the find of his life. His two years at university had not been totally wasted.

Rob "King of the Castle",
repelling all oncomers
Al and I were now the only ones enjoying the carefree life. Everyone else in the family was shouldering the load of jobs or vocation. Mark Sturgeon now lived just around the corner so he became more central to our core group of buddies. We continued to be given free rein to run and explore to our hearts content. Our anthill became a fort from which we would repel invaders. “King of the Castle” went to the one who could throw all others off the anthill. Fun. We would ride our bikes out into the bush following African footpaths. This would take us to African villages and other unexplored delights.

Our garden abounded with trees and fruit of all kinds. We had mangoes, avocado and paw paw (papaya) trees. We had a mild rivalry going with Margaret and Peter Nupen who were similar age neighbor kids over the road from our house. Once we heard them playing in their garden behind their hedge. We tossed a few unripe items of fruit over their hedge to gauge the response. Before long we had an all-out fruit war going on as we lobbed fruit bombs at each other. Once we sat hidden in a tree overlooking the road and shot berries with our catapults at passing cars. We would experience a frisson of nervous excitement as the cars would screech to a halt to examine their splatted windscreens. This was risky as we never quite knew what might happen to us if we were spotted by our hapless victims. Would we go to jail or reformatory school? Would we be taken to the police for a beating?  Our nerves couldn’t stand it. We only tried that game once.

Al, viewing our kingdom
from the big rock
The Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland was foundering on the rocks of restive African nationalism and a British Colonial office, anxious to shed its colonies which were no longer considered fashionable accessories. African countries were attaining independence and “one man one vote” was all the rage. Northern Rhodesia was heading in that direction and the white population could see the end of their dream in sight. Concern over the fate of the schooling system began to predominate and talk of “boarding school in Southern Rhodesia or UK” became a hot topic of conversation. In 1963 the decision was made to send Alan to Falcon College, near Bulawayo in Southern Rhodesia. Richard Moskwa was already there, Mark Sturgeon was going too and Butch Attersol was going to St. Stephens just a bit further down the road from Falcon. The exodus had begun. The decision for Al to go to boarding school, was no doubt a sad day for Mom and Dad, but for me it was devastating. My best sidekick and buddy was leaving home. What was I going to do?

L. to R. Fifi, Butch Attersol, Rusty, Mitzi, Paul Celliers
in front of big rock in our garden.
As it turned out, life carried on. I had to search further afield for playmates and it didn’t take long before some of my classmates filled the gap. Paul Celliers became my firm and best friend. John Hendrie was not far behind. We became inseparable and our lives consisted of school in the mornings, home for lunch and a bit of homework and then we would ride our bikes to each other’s homes and hang out. Climbing trees was always a popular activity. Mango season was a highlight. We would climb in search of the perfect mango and then devour it on the spot, before searching for the next one. We used to get “mango sores” on our mouths from the juice dribbling down our faces. Our lives were full and free and our folks were few in their limitations. A favorite nighttime activity on the weekends was “roof rattling”. Most of the houses in Chingola had corrugated iron roofs. The game was to carry a handful of rocks, pick a victim’s house  and then hurl a storm of stones onto the roof and then run for it, before an irate owner could get to their front door and give chase. Such is the life of ease and delight that we lived in. Life was good.

Mom, continued with her free range parenting style. Dad was busy with his shooting involvements. The one time Paul Celliers, John Hendrie, my cousin Kev and I decided to go camping on a farm out in the bush where she seemed to have had a contact of some sort. Mom plunked us down at the farm with all of our gear by a dam and left us to get on with it. To my knowledge the farmers weren’t even there as we never saw any sign of them at any point. We were ten years old.  So, we got on with it. Tents up, firewood collected, baked beans on the boil. What more could a kid want? Kev, my cousin, who was a real toughie, was the odd man out as he wasn’t part of our regular gang. It didn’t take long for the arguments to break out and at one point Paul disappeared into the night, abandoning the campfire, swearing that he was walking home. He did emerge from the darkness a bit later and we all hugged and made up. We found an old boat and went exploring in the dam. My enthusiasm waned a bit when we found a snake swimming very fast in the water. I bet he could have boarded the boat if he’d so chosen. This of course gave me the creeps and I opted to get back to shore asap. Mom returned a few days later, to find four boys, exhausted and partied out, but sad to be leaving such a heavenly lifestyle.

Rose had continued on doing her nursing training in UK. We gathered that she had become involved with a very religious group, Hospital Christian Fellowship, at the hospital and had become quite fanatical. This seemed quite a turn up for the books for Rose and we all awaited her visit to our new home with great anticipation to see if she had grown horns and a tail or a halo and wings. I was 10 when Rose came home. She certainly didn’t disappoint. I don’t remember the actual conversation, but it seemed that she swept in with a flourish and announced “you’re all going to hell, unless you become born again” This didn’t go down too well, particularly with Dad and Nev. I was oblivious and Mom, being a good Anglican, probably thought Rose would get over this “enthusiastic” stage.

Our home made go kart, which Dad helped us build.
Note the engine in the back. It never worked too well. 
This brought Rose and Dad back to a state of semi war as Dad was not going to have anyone telling him where he was going, especially as in his mind he was a fine upstanding occasional churchgoer. He had also been confirmed in the Methodist church in his younger days. What more could possibly be needed?  I do remember being quite impressed with Rose’s sincerity and it took me back to my days at Eureka boarding school. Somehow she spoke the same language as the missionaries did. I found it mysterious and appealing.

At one point I remember Rose coming to tuck me up in bed and she spoke very gently and sweetly to me about my need to have Jesus in my life. Rose tells me that I prayed with her that night to invite Jesus into my life. I have no recollection of that, but fortunately God never forgets a prayer, sincerely said, and he brought me back to it from time to time until I finally caught on properly, many years later.

Rose somehow got me hooked up with attending a weekly Scripture Union Club at the local Brethren church. I quite enjoyed the games and the scripture stories, which I remembered from my Eureka days. However the highlight came when they announced that they were having a camp and that I was invited. Once again the easy going lifestyle of the colonies kicked in. Al must have been back from Falcon, or hadn’t left yet, but he also came and so did Butch Attersol. We were dropped at the train station in Ndola along with what seemed a couple of hundred other boys and travelled overnight, unsupervised as far as I could tell, to a stop, where a bus was waiting to take us to the Mulungushi camp site, way out in the bush along the banks of the Kafue River. Our accommodation was tents and apart from some long drop toilets there was not much else there apart from perhaps a kitchen. I vaguely remember us meeting every day to sing songs and listen to talks and stories but of course the games were our primary focus. We played Capture the Flag over a very wide area and I remember it being intensely exciting. However the thing which most intrigued me was the book table. They had a collection of little pocket bibles and testaments and after great soul searching I surrendered some of my hard saved pocket money to buy a cute little New Testament which I carefully tucked into my shorts pocket, cherishing the thought of reading it. Nature called and I headed for the long drops. These were particularly primitive, just being a hole in a concrete floor and no seat even to sit on. One just had to crouch. To be safe in these situations it is best to remove one’s pants altogether, which of course I did. Lo and behold, to my great distress, I backed up and by accident my shorts ended up down the hole. Oh my goodness, what a calamity. My precious New Testament was irretrievably lost and, almost as seriously, I had to make my way back to my tent, a fair distance, without any pants. This of course did not go unnoticed by the other 199 boys at camp and I was the butt, excuse the pun, of great teasing for a while. My other great memory of this camp was that Al won the “best packed bag” award when we left camp after a few days. But I had won the honor of being one of the first streakers, long before the idea even became fashionable.

My treasured dagger - reward
for beating Barbara Lemon
Paul Celliers, John Hendrie and I were in Standard 4 (Grade 4) at the time. In those days it was still fashionable to have kids compete for top marks and of course the classes were graded into A, B and C streams. I cannot imagine the unhappiness of being rated a C stream student, but that’s how life was in those days. I, was in the A stream and I was close to the top of the class most of the time. My arch nemesis, Barbara Lemon and I would battle it out for top spot. I was determined to beat her, but she seemed to effortlessly stave off my best efforts, most of the time, with a sweet smile. Mrs. Cave our teacher was the grand arbiter of this epic contest. I had to admit that Barbara had me beat fair and square most of the time. However I must have put in a supreme effort as I pipped her at the post and came top of the class at the end of that year. I still have the bone handled dagger which Mom and Dad bought me to celebrate.

We were just beginning to get interested in girls around that time. When we attended a mixed party, kissing games were all the rage. I remember once, the party group was spread across the rugby field in the dark and the game was on. The boys had to chase the girls and if they caught them, they were allowed to kiss them. The girls in turn, had to flee, but of course their hearts weren’t in it, so inevitably they were captured and the prize claimed. Primitive, but fun all the same.

I had my eye on Loretta who was in my class. Loretta was a good looker, and of course was going to be the girl who everyone wanted to be “going out with”. Her best friend was Jane, a much plainer Jane, but still a nice girl. One day Loretta and Jane invited Paul and I to meet them at the public swimming pool after school. This was a favorite spot where we would hang out and enjoy the swimming and sun. Paul and I felt that finally we were being noticed by the girls and we enthusiastically agreed. When we got to the pool, the two girls studiously ignored us, as if we didn’t exist. Paul and I were nose out of joint about this and sat on the bleachers plotting our revenge. Just then we heard a giggle and looked down and there was Jane, hiding under the bleachers eavesdropping on our plans. Paul and I were mortified at having been made such fools of and vowed to have nothing to do with them from thereon. It wasn’t long after that that Paul and I were hanging out at my house one day after school. Mom was out, Dad at work and Nev was in his bedroom at the far end of the house. The next thing the dogs barked – that was their job when strangers were approaching and out of the blue Loretta and Jane turned up on their bikes.   Paul and I were a bit blown out of the water by this unexpected attention and we were rather tongue tied and chatted to them awkwardly at the door before we more or less sent them on their way. We didn’t even have the presence of mind to invite them in for a drink. As it turned out Nev had tiptoed into the next door bedroom and had been eavesdropping on our timid efforts. He teased us mercilessly for a few days about our ineptness. Of course this was the beginning of the tortured game of life in which we begin the painful process of searching for our lifelong soulmates. I for one was relieved when Cheryl and I tied the knot and removed that stressful game from our playbook.

July, posing for the camera
Limon, July's son on a rare visit
from his village in S. Rhodesia
 Nev was working and playing hard in the background in those days. He was progressing in his work at the mine. He and Dad were studying together for their gold medal in first aid and would often rehearse their drills together. I think by the end I could have passed the exam, I had heard it all so many times. We got used to Nev being out doing his shifts or at the club playing sport. One evening Paul was having a sleepover at our house. Mom and Dad were out at a function and no one was home. It was getting late and Paul and I were locked in a wrestling match, when we heard the back door of the house creak open. We knew its sound. The house was in darkness except for my bedroom. Our hears skipped a beat and we went silent. Next thing we heard slow heavy footsteps entering the house and down the passage towards us. We stopped our wrestling and I tiptoed to my cupboard and picked up a baseball bat and hid behind the door while we silently waited. It we had an intruder I was going to make him pay. The footsteps drew nearer and my heart was pounding. The next thing Nev rounded the corner and I let out a scream and collapsed on the ground a total wreck. Once again Nev had the last laugh, but Paul and I were pleased we didn’t have a real intruder to deal with.

Rose receiving her 21st birthday
gift from Mom and Dad. 
Nev, getting Rose set up
for her move on
David Gleason
In 1963, Rose was coming home from the UK for her 21st birthday. She planned to be home for a month or so. Nev decided it was time to get Rose off of her religious kick that she was on and get her married off, so she could settle down, have kids and get her life back to normal. Nev vowed that by the time Rose returned to UK after a month, she would be engaged. Nev had marriage on his mind as he and Mau were engaged in 1963. He obviously figured if marriage would be good for him, it would be good for Rose. The target of his efforts was going to be David Gleason. David was a nice guy who we all knew. He wasn’t the typical miner type, but was more of a management type in his outlook and ways. He did something on the mine related to photography and journalism. I recall. He had his head screwed on and wasn’t short in self-confidence. He used to call my Dad “Doug” which grated on my Dad no end. In my Dad’s opinion, anyone the age of his kids should be calling him Mr. Cornish and not being all pally pally with him, the way David was. The bottom line is that Nev managed to pull off his quest and by the end of Rose’s visit, she and David were engaged. I have no idea how he did it, but Nev had a determined streak in him which didn’t accept no easily. Like Nev, my Dad, was keen to see Rose married off. He gritted his teeth and granted permission for David to marry his daughter, despite David’s lack of formal respect for him.  Rose took herself back to UK sporting an engagement ring but not with much of a spring in her step. David was not a believer and Rose knew that the Bible was clear; believers should not be unequally yoked.  Rose was miserable as sin for a few months and eventually broke it off with David. We all thought she was destined for spinsterhood. Who was going to marry someone with such weird religious views?

Rob and William Lungu preparing for the Soapbox  Derby
on Kabundi road Hill. The other Dad's had worked
harder, but we had fun all the same. 
Once again, our family was about to face some tectonic shifts. Rose was away in UK. Al was at boarding school in Southern Rhodesia. Now that Nev was engaged it was time for him to focus on reaching his potential. He persuaded the university of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg to take him back in 1965 to repeat his second year of mining engineering. In 1964 Nev started making his plans to get married at the end of the year. Meanwhile the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland had broken up, splitting back into its original three components. Northern Rhodesia was set to attain “one man one vote” independence in October 1964 to become the country of Zambia. Mom and Dad wanted me to join Al at boarding school at Falcon College, but I was in Standard Four and Falcon only began at Standard Six. After some trepidation the decision was made that I would skip Standard Five and go straight to Falcon starting in January 1964.


Federation failed, and Northern Rhodesia
was left on it's own, soon to become
independent Zambia
1964 was going to be a tough year for Mom and Dad. Their chickens would have all flown the coop by the end of that year. Al and I would return for school holidays, but this was the end of our time as a nuclear family. We had enjoyed such a rich, full and carefree existence during our time in Northern Rhodesia, but the breakup of the British Empire has left a swath of broken and dispersed families in its wake. We, much maligned colonials, have paid a heavy price for our few years of privilege as we have been thrust forward, out into the world, away from our roots into a brave new future.

No comments:

Post a Comment